Musei Civici
Gian Giacomo Galletti

The Gian Giacomo Galletti Civic Museums of Domodossola are a multidisciplinary and eclectic context that narrates a frontier territory open to the world and nourished by a strong collecting impulse, especially between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

The Collections

The first nucleus of the natural history museum of the Foundation mainly consisted of minerals and botanical specimens and was exhibited at Palazzo Mellerio (the remains of which are in the square next to the town hall) in 1875.

Nothing better than these words taken from Alessandro Malladra’s “The Simplon Tunnel” of 1905 exemplifies the grandeur of one of the greatest railway engineering feats ever accomplished.

The art gallery is dedicated to the paintings of the major representatives of the painting schools of Valle Vigezzo, active from the late 17th century until the early 20th century.

The archaeological section, formed starting from an initial numismatic donation in 1875, gathers evidence of civilizations from various geographical origins, ranging from the Neolithic period to the Roman era.

The collection of sacred art comprises several dozens of artifacts of various sizes and functions. On display are the processional banner, the processional cross, and the lantern.


San Francesco

Palazzo San Francesco combines in its name the two souls of the building: San Francesco represents the dedication of the original church attached to a convent, which was later transformed, following the Napoleonic suppressions, into a noble palace for private use. From the stylistic and architectural analysis, it can be dated back to the late 1200s for the church within the perimeter of the current palace; it is known that the church was consecrated in October 1331.


Palazzo Silva

At the center of the city of Domodossola stands the palace of the noble Della Silva family, which still displays its Renaissance features to this day. Its simple smooth facades are embellished with large crossed windows sculpted in marble from the quarries of Crevoladossola. The palace developed from an original nucleus dating back to the late 14th century, accessible through a door dated ‘1348,’ of which no trace remains today.

Artworks in our Museums
21 July 2023 ore 10:00
7 January 2024 ore 19:00
Palazzo San Francesco
Antonio D’Amico e Federico Troletti
17 June 2022 ore 9:30
15 October 2022 ore 19:00
Palazzo Silva
Enrico Rizzi
Capitol Hill

Vivamus in lobortis quam. Sed lacinia rutrum lorem mollis gravida.

Great Hall

Vivamus in lobortis quam. Sed lacinia rutrum lorem mollis gravida.

IV. Statue

Vivamus in lobortis quam. Sed lacinia rutrum lorem mollis gravida.


Vivamus in lobortis quam. Sed lacinia rutrum lorem mollis gravida.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Musei Civici Gian Giacomo Galletti rappresentano una fonte di ispirazione e arricchimento per la comunità locale e oltre. Attraverso le loro collezioni eccezionali, i Musei preservano il patrimonio culturale e artistico di Domodossola.

Orari Musei

giovedì, venerdì, sabato e domenica 10-13 / 15-19

Palazzo San Francesco

Piazza Paola Angela Ruminelli 1, 28845 Domodossola (VB)

Palazzo Silva

Piazza Giovanni Chiossi 1, 28845 Domodossola (VB)

This site is registered on as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.